Olli Rehn, Vice-President of the European Commission and Commissioner for Economic and Monetary Affairs, has received strong support to become the ALDE Party candidate for the President of the European Commission in the European Elections 2014.
Olli Rehn, Vice-President of the European Commission and Commissioner for Economic and Monetary Affairs, has received strong support to become the ALDE Party candidate for the President of the European Commission in the European Elections 2014. Today, fourteen ALDE leaders have co-signed a letter nominating Olli Rehn as their candidate.
According to the party leaders: "Olli Rehn has vast experience as a two-term commissioner and former MEP. He has worked closely with the European Parliament, Heads of State and global financial institutions to weather the Eurozone crisis and lay the foundations for future economic stability. His experience will be a huge asset to the ALDE Party and makes him ideally placed to tackle the economic challenges facing the European Union as the President of the European Commission".
Olli Rehn officially declared his candidacy at the ALDE Party Congress in London two weeks ago. Leaders of ALDE member parties will meet to discuss the nominations of candidates in Brussels on Thursday, 19.12.2013. Nominations formally close on Friday 20.12.2013. The ALDE Party lead candidate will be announced at special Electoral Congress in Brussels 1.2.2014.
The party leaders who have co-signed the nomination letter include:
- Sipilä Juha, Party Leader of Centre Party of Finland, Finland
- Ansip Andrus, Prime Minister and Party Leader, Reform Party, Estonia
- Antoniadou Kyriacou Praxoula, Party Leader of the United Democrats, Cyprus
- Björklund Jan, Party Leader of Folkpartiet, Sweden
- Clegg Nick, Deputy Prime Minister and Leader of the Liberal Democrats, United Kingdom
- Haglund Carl, Party Leader, Swedish People´s Party, Finland
- Jakovčic Ivan, Party Leader of Istrian Democratic Assembly, Croatia
- Jansson Harry, Party Leader, Åländsk Centre, Finland
- Lindner Christian, Party Leader of the Free Democratic Party, Germany
- Lööf Annie, Party Leader of Centerpartiet, Sweden
- Mestan Lyutvi, Party Leader of Movement for Rights and Freedoms, Bulgaria
- Pusić Vesna, Party Leader of Croatian People´s Party, Croatia
- Rasmussen Lars Løkke, Party Leader of Venstre, Denmark
- Vestager Margrethe, Party Leader of Radikale Venstre, Denmark
The letter of the party leaders attached.
Riina Nevamäki, Policy Adviser to the Party Leader, Centre Party of Finland, tel. +358 40 705 2593, riina.nevamaki(a)keskusta.fi
Jannika Ranta, International Officer, Centre Party of Finland, tel. +358 50 388 0005, jannika.ranta(a)keskusta.fi